Our team is growing and we are looking for a new member for a brand-new position! Come work as the Communications and Stakeholder Relations Manager with the Vancouver Police Board (VPB) in a full- time permanent position. Apply your passion and talent for communications and stakeholder relationships in this unique opportunity focused on serving as a link between the community, and VPB and/or Vancouver Police Department (VPD).
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of the Vancouver Police Board (VPB), the Communications and Stakeholder Relations Manager (CSRM) will function as an integral part of our team to lead the design, development, implementation, and evaluation of an effective stakeholder engagement strategy. The CSRM works closely with, senior leadership, and stakeholder / partner staff in support of the VPD’s strategic plan, employing appropriate channels and tools for each stakeholder group.
Little About Us:
We are small but dynamic team directed by a talented Board of Directors who provide independent civilian oversight, governance, and strategic leadership to the VPD, reflecting the needs, values, and diversity of Vancouver’s many communities.
A Little About You:
The successful candidate will be a creative and social individual with a passion and talent for engaging stakeholders and the public, collaborating with teams, bring a solid experience profile, and an interest in continual growth and improvement. You are a consummate and smart networker, a solid project manager, and a competent and strategic communicator with an appetite for challenges and opportunities.
Please apply if you are:
- Experienced in and passionate about diverse stakeholder and public engagement in a rapidly evolving and dynamic environment
- Experienced in designing, planning, implementing, and reporting on multi-dimensional stakeholder engagement activities including open houses, interviews, virtual forums and feedback mechanisms and participatory collaborative processes
- Skilled at providing leadership and consultation on the development and implementation of digital engagement strategies to support stakeholder engagement
- Able to develop impact measurement frameworks and tools, analyze data and prepare comprehensive reports
- A strong verbal and written communicator. You are able to craft public friendly, plain language and effective messaging for a wide range of stakeholder groups
- Effective at collaborating and influencing others without positional authority
- Experienced in designing and implementing social media campaigns, communications, and/or monitoring programs utilizing social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc.
- Able to manage multiple complex projects concurrently and complete a variety of complex tasks within tight timelines which requires professionalism, excellent judgement, and political acumen
- Someone with exceptional interpersonal skills and able to build and foster relationships within and across organizations and the stakeholder community
- Enjoy working as part of a collaborative team on outreach and communications efforts
Your cover letter will demonstrate:
- Your relevant stakeholder and public engagement achievements including experience working with a variety of stakeholders including inclusive engagement, participatory processes, collaboration/co-design, and capacity building
- Your approach to building relationships with a variety of stakeholder groups, particularly challenging stakeholders or those who do not see themselves as stakeholders
- Excellent written communication skills
- Your passion for the discipline
- Why you stand out as a candidate for this position
Your resume will show us:
- At least an undergraduate degree in a related field such as communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, and/or related discipline
- Experience with:
- Stakeholder and public engagement planning, processes, and outcomes reporting
- Experience facilitating small or large group in-person and virtual sessions
- MS office tools, MS Teams, Zoom and online collaboration tools (Miro, Padlet, etc.)
- Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Developing and implementing engagement strategies
- Analyzing input and developing engagement reports and summaries
- Developing communication, advertising, or session materials
- Writing for various mediums and various audiences to include staff, senior leadership, Board members, and a broad range of stakeholders
- The goals of truth and reconciliation and building relationships with and understanding of local First Nations and Indigenous communities
- Able to work across an organization and to develop robust engagement plans and use tactics that will appropriately engage and stakeholders
- Not afraid of challenging situations, comfortable having difficult conversations/interactions, and have the ability have the skills to to diffuse tense situations at public sessions is required
- A minimum of 5-7 years progressive experience in a role specializing in public/stakeholder engagement and analysis of qualitative and quantitative processes
Bonus points for:
- Certification with a related professional association, such as International Association of Public Participation (IAP2), Canadian Public Relations Society (CPRS), or International Association of Business Communicators.
- Indigenous engagement understanding and experience
- Experience using video and audio editing programs
- The successful candidate must be able to achieve enhanced security clearance
- Applicants selected to move forward in the in the hiring process may be assessed on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and competencies in the job profile
What we offer:
- A fantastic opportunity to hone your skills in a challenging and rewarding position
- A competitive salary and comprehensive benefits
- An office located on the Canada Line and other public transportation
If this sounds like your next job, please forward your cover letter clearly outlining how you meet the position requirements as well as your current resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 13, 2022.